Saturday, January 12, 2008

Rumblings on the Cameron signing

Buster Olney and Tom Haudricourt give us a couple interesting reactions from Ryan Braun and Bill Hall about the Mike Cameron signing.

Braun is very open to moving to LF for the Brewers. "I'm excited about it," Braun said. "It's in my best interests and in the best interests of the team. Whatever makes us better, I'm all for it. There's no question it's the right move." This is the talk of a quintessential team-player. The type of player that the Brewers have fought to include on their club.

Hall, on the other hand, is not overly excited about moving positions again. "I think every player likes to look out for himself at some point," said Hall. "You want to protect your dignity a little bit." He is talking about the fact that he has been bounced around, while he has been told that he will not be. I can understand this. At the same time, he is getting paid to be a part of the Brewers, so I'm not sure he has the leverage (especially after a down year) to be demanding a certain position.

Olney wonders if the Dodgers might revisit trade talks surrounding Bill Hall. This seems like a possibility because of Hall's discontentment, but Hall would still have to be a 3B in Los Angeles. Hall would really have to want to leave Milwaukee for that trade to be enacted, I think. I don't know what we would get anyway. Hall, Vargas, and a prospect for Andre Ethier and keep Braun at 3B? I just don't see that much swapping happening. Then again...I didn't see Melvin making a move to switch both Hall and Braun's positions.

No comments: