Thursday, December 6, 2007

Brewers done in Nashville

Doug Melvin and his crew left the Winter Meetings today without finalizing a deal with any team, but that does not mean a deal or two are not in the works. Let's round out what we've learned:
  • Melvin is not, I repeat NOT, going to trade for a closer this offseason. Melvin said, "We have a closer. Derrick Turnbow." This may not be popular amongst Brewers fans, but I think he's more than capable. People just need to give him a chance and not boo him when he walks onto the field. Yes, he has control problems, and yes, it is annoying. Let's give him a chance though.
  • Sheets has not been seriously discussed with anyone. I guess that takes care of those rumors.
  • Bill Hall has been flying around in tons of rumors, and Melvin indicated that he's listening to proposals for him. He can play plenty of positions, and each team Melvin talks to has a different plan for Hall. If I had to guess, I would say Hall is going to be moved before the season starts. I know it's been said a lot, but I think the L.A. makes a lot of sense for Hall.
  • Finally, even though it was not explicitly said, Tom Haudricourt expects the Cardinals to come back to Milwaukee and lessen their demands. They're going to have to lessen them quite a bit for Doug Melvin to make a move, I suspect.

2 comments:

NYFan1988 said...

I believe that the only closers available that we should go for would include Joe Nathan or Eric Gagne. Both have the ability to control the ninth inning of a game regardless of the situation. Joe Nathan has been a lights out closer for multiple years in Minnesota and despite his issues as a setup man in Boston, Gagne has consistently proven that he is amazing in the ninth.

As for filling that ninth spot out in the field, I feel that the Brewers should go the small market way and either bring someone up through the system or acquire someone who is of little value. It is tough to rely on a platoon of Dillon, Gross, and Gwynn in left, so I expect to see a veteran outfielder signed late in the offseason to address this, regardless of who is signed I feel like it is possible enough to hide that spot when those in the platoon go on cold streaks, I am optimistic regarding the 2008 Brewers

jimmyb1799 said...

I agree with your point that the playoff race comes down to the ninth inning a lot, but we cannot mortgage the future to get a proven closer. Gagne would be a possibility, but he is going to cost way too much to do so.

We're not a big enough market team to play to win for one year. We can find a closer within the system. I trust Melvin at this point.