Friday, December 7, 2007

Brewers pick up 3 arms in Rule 5 draft

When telling you all about losing Callix Crabbe, I forgot to tell you what we gained from the draft. We acquired three pretty good arms from the looks of it. They are as follows:

  • RHP Joe Bateman from the Yankees. He's only 27 years old and has a deceptive side-arm delivery. He had a very nice year last year in Double-A Connecticut in the Yankees system. In 56.1 innings of work, Bateman had a 4-1 record with a 2.88 ERA and a 47/21 K/BB ratio. I really like this pick-up, and I think that in a couple years, we could see Bateman knocking on the door for a relievers spot because of his deceptive delivery.
  • RHP Richard Campbell from the Nationals. Campbell, who's only 26, went 3-5 with a 4.91 ERA and nine saves in 47 relief appearances with Double-A Harrisburg last season for the National's affiliate. I'm a little apathetic about this pick up. Perhaps the Brewers see something in him that I'm missing.
  • RHP Juan Sandoval from the Mariners. Sandoval, also 26, was very average in Double-A West Tennessee posting a 4.29 ERA in 26 relief appearances, but got absolutely shelled when promoted to AAA, with a 10.06 ERA in only 14 appearances. I haven't heard about Sandoval before, so maybe his numbers are hiding a power arm that needs maturing. That's what I'm going to tell myself to justify those numbers...

No comments: