Saturday, December 15, 2007

Brewers were interested in Tejada

Reading a recent story on the Milwaukee Brewers homepage, I saw that Melvin was in serious talks with the Baltimore Orioles about acquiring Miguel Tejada. This is completely novel news to me, and I'm happy that we did not go through with it.

"It was going to involve giving up some of our good, young players," said Melvin. "We talked about moving Tejada to third base and Braun to the outfield. [Tejada] would have done that for a team that was a contending club. It was going to be [giving up] some of the players that might have impacted our club; we felt it wasn't the right thing to do.

The Astros had to give up 5 high-quality players to get the former All-Star. FIVE. The Brewers do not have that luxury. Neither do the Astros, but that is another story. Anyway, I thought you all would like to know about the trade-that-could-have-been, the trade I personally am glad that wasn't.

1 comment:

NYFan1988 said...

I am okay with "missing" out on Tejada, I would guess Gwynn, Parra, and Jackson would have been involved in the deal, if not all three than at least two. I was a huge fan of Tejada's work in Oakland, and he has not been as terrible as people suggest in Baltimore, and he could resurface in Houston, however, I am willing to wait an extra year or two for the Brewers to reach their peak if it means that they will be there for five extra years.