Monday, December 10, 2007

Brewers Ink Gagne for $10M

It's official, Tom Haudricourt reports. Eric Gagne is now a member of the Milwaukee Brewers. He passed his physical this morning in Milwaukee, and he will be introduced at 6:30pm today.

Someone will have to be removed from the 40-man roster to make room for Gagne. Unfortunately, I think Matt Wise's time in a Brewers uniform is going to be finished. I would like to think that Melvin has a trade in the works that will protect him, but it's doubtful. Wise only had one bad year, and now he's going to lose his job in Milwaukee. That's unfortunate. I thought he had a chance to bounce back nicely this year.

This Gagne signing is brilliant for the Brewers. Everyone is worried about the baggage he comes with, and my answer is that we are only committed to him for one year. If it doesn't work out, then the Brewers simply do not resign him next year. If he excels (which I believe he will), the Brewers will allow him to cash in big somewhere else next year and take the 2 draft picks we will get because he'll be a Type A free agent. A low-risk, high-reward move like I've said before.

The Brewer bullpen is now looking like a strength for the team this season. I look for Melvin and his crew to shift focus on unloading a couple of our excess pitchers we have. I expect Capuano to be moved relatively soon, and I pray that Vargas is gone soon. Mr. I-can't-pitch-more-than-5-innings can hopefully get us a mid-level prospect...because he's not worth anything more than that.

1 comment:

edgrimly said...

Whats more, the Journal guy mentions Hank Blalock. That guy is an unbelievable player, and he bats lefty. Go Doug Melvin!!!